Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happiness

One day in Nauvoo, I noticed that Morgan was feeling a little down. I really wanted to be able to make him happy, but I didn't know what to do. When I am sad, I like to think of things that make me happy. So I started a happy list for Morgan, so that he could write down the things that make him happy. It turned in to a competition to see whose list could be bigger. Morgan thinks he won, but really it was me :)

I accomplished my goal. I made Morgan happy and I also made myself happy. I came to treasure my list. Soon after we had our competition, my arthritis started acting up. During the incredibly hard days, I would look at my happy list. I kept adding to it as well. When nothing else could make me happy, reminding myself of all the wonderful things in the world would turn my attitude around. I have so many things to be grateful for. Here's just a sample of some of the things on my happy list:
  • Squirrels
  • Chocolate
  • Waterfalls
  • Popcorn
  • Sleep
  • Strawberries
  • Christmas
  • Rubber ducks
  • Baby animals
  • Old couples holding hands
  • Lotion
  • The smell of rain
  • Butterflies
  • Spell check
  • Painting walls
  • Mechanical pencils
  • Dandelions
  • Silence
  • Socks
I have over 700 items on my list, and it is still growing. I strongly encourage everyone to make their own happy list. It really works. It helped Morgan to be happy and it helped me to be happy. Whenever you are feeling down, try to think of all the marvelous things this world has to offer. It's just like the hymn, "Count your Blessings." There are so many things to be grateful for, even when you feel like there is no way you can be happy. So start a happy list and see how many things and people you are blessed to have in your life. Spread the joy!

1 comment: